John Gerdes joined the firm in 1991 and he currently serves on its executive committee. Mr. Gerdes practices primarily in the areas of taxation, partnerships, corporations, business law and estate planning. He is licensed to practice in Kansas and Missouri.
Mr. Gerdes received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Benedictine College in 1982 and his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Washburn University in 1990. He went on to earn his Master of Laws degree in Taxation from the University of Florida in 1991.
Mr. Gerdes is listed in the Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Corporate Law, Litigation & Controversy – Tax, Tax Law and Trusts & Estates. He has been named Wichita “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for multiple years in the areas of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) and Litigation & Controversy – Tax, Tax Law and Trusts & Estates.
Mr. Gerdes has also been listed in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers in the area of Tax Law and is co-author of a chapter of the Kansas Bar Association’s Kansas Corporation Law & Practice Handbook.
Some of the areas in which Mr. Gerdes has represented clients are:
- Disputes involving income, estate, gift, sales, use, and ad valorem tax issues at the audit, appeal, and litigation levels.
- Sales and purchases of business, including asset and stock transactions.
- Formation of entities, including corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and non-profit entities.
- Employee compensation arrangements.
- Licensing, franchising, and distributorship arrangements.
- Construction, sale, purchase and lease of real estate.
In addition to the local state and federal courts, Mr. Gerdes has practiced before the US Tax Court and the 5th and 10th Circuits of the U.S. Court of Appeals. Among notable cases in which Mr. Gerdes has been involved, are:
- St. Catherine Hospital v. Roop, 34 Kan.App.2d 638, 122 P.3d 414 (2005)
- ABC Rentals of San Antonio, Inc. v. Comm’r of Internal Revenue, 142 F.3d 1200 (10th Cir. 1998)
- Kitch v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, 103 F.3d 104 (10th Cir. 1996)
- In re Estate of Tubbs, 21 Kan.App.2d 395, 900 P.2d 865 (1995)
- In re Application of Affiliated Properties Services, Inc., 19 Kan.App.2d 247, 870 P.2d 1343 (1993).
Mr. Gerdes has made numerous presentations to community and professional groups on tax and business matters. He and his spouse, Sandra, have been married for over 35 years and have five children.
- Corporate and Business Law
- Banking and Lending
- Franchising Law
- Real Estate Law
- Construction Law
- Estate Planning, Trusts and Probate Law
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Healthcare Law
- Employment Law and Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Missouri Bar Association
- Wichita Bar Association